MCtechnics has more than 30 years of experience in Silicon rubber technology. RTV-2 silicon rubbers are two-part pourable, spreadable or kneadable compositions that vulcanize when the curing agent component is added and form highly elastic silicone rubber. They are cured at room temperature (RTV = room-temperature vulcanizing). There are two ways of vulcanizing them:
- In condensation-curing, a tin catalyst is usually used; alcohol is produced as a byproduct.
- Addition curing, on the other hand, uses a platinum catalyst and does not produce byproducts.
The extensive portfolio of RTV-2 silicone rubber products allows cured rubbers to be produced with extremely versatile, highly specialized properties. This results in a versatile, successful solutions portfolio for individual problems in diverse industrial areas, such as mold making, electronics and optoelectronics, household appliances, mechanical engineering and industrial process engineering, health care applications and solar/photovoltaic.
The generic properties of Silicon rubber are:
- Easily processability
- High long term elasticity
- Outstanding release properties
- Extreme reproduction fidelity of surface details
- Heat resistance (200°C long term – 350 °C short term)
- Safe regarding handling
We can provide you:
- POLYCONDENSATION SILICON:
2 component silicons (resin and catalysts) that cure in presence of moisture with volatile alcohol as condensation product. Their specificities are:
- Material shrinkage due to volatilization of alcohol (0,2 – 2% depending on type of catalyst and amount of catalyst)
- Reversion cross linking at T° exceeding 90°C Inhibition only by lack of moisture
- Allow robust adhesives and sealants
- POLYADDITION SILICON:
2 components (A and B components) silicons that present the following specificities and advantages:
- Vulcanization without volatilization of product leading to minimal chemical shrinkage (no mass effect) and without releasing substances that could affect order or taste
- No reversion of cross linking reaction at elevated T°
- Inhibition of cure by various widely used substances (sulphur compounds / amines / organometallic compounds / unsaturated hydrocarbons) requiring controlled environment during processing of those silicons
- Rapid curing, with pot life and crosslinking rate regulated via the temperature, or, in the case of UV-curable silicones, via the radiation dose.
MCtechnics delivers all necessary additives that can be used with RTV-2 Silicon rubber (sold separately or integrated in the silicon rubber formulation) :
- Fillers: either inert like powder quartz or CaCO3; active like fumed silica or reinforcing to get high tensile strength
- Silicon fluids to adjust viscosity and hardness (e.g. Silicon oil- Pigments past to colour transparent silicon rubber
- Functional additives like heat stabilizers and antistatic